Parish Cemetery

resurrection statue of christ

Cemetery is a blessed place where the departed faithful are buried. The Ecclesiastical law recommends that every parish should have its own cemetery. The parish from its foundation in 1890, had a land on the northern side adjacent to the church building which was used for burying the faithful of the parish. The wooden crosses were fixed on the graves in the past; later, brick crosses and cement crosses became popular. The "Kallara" or Vault on the land with different cells is another mode of burying. In 2005, while Fr. Johnson Alexander was the parish priest, the cemetery on land (crosses, graves, kallaras etc) was demolished for getting more area for the new church construction. The new existing cellar cemetery with 460 vaults was blessed in 2006. The Cellar cemetery contains the mortal remain of more than 800 faithful now.